In September 1972, Robert and Babette Schexnaider founded the Oak Grove Smokehouse in Prairieville, Louisiana. A complete line of smoked products was produced for local, as well as mail order business. After many questions from mail order customers concerning the use of Andouille and Tasso in products such as Gumbo and Jambalaya, it was conceived that a mix could be formulated to aid these consumers. Oak Grove Smokehouse set out to help its distant customers through roux preparation and refinement of the intricate blend of seasonings required to duplicate local home-prepared products. They did not know their preparations were so closely identical to those traditionally prepared at home, that local Cajun consumers would have little hesitation in using Oak Grove mixes as a normal household product. In 1975, Oak Grove Smokehouse introduced their Jambalaya and Gumbo mixes in Louisiana, Texas, Arkansas, Mississippi and Alabama. Such ready acceptance of these mixes led to the addition of Gumbo Base (without rice), Cajun Dirty Rice, Fish Fry with Creole Seasonings, Hot and Spicy Chicken Fry, Hushpuppy Mix and Seafood Boil.
CREOLE JAMBALAYA MIX - SERVING INSTRUCTIONS
1. Cut into serving size portions and pre-cook 1 to 2 pounds of meat such as beef, pork, chicken or wild game.
Seafood and pre-cooked meats (ham, sausage, etc.) can be substituted.
2. Into a heavy aluminum or iron pot add 2 1/2 cups of water (when using more than 1 package of mix: reduce
water to 2 cups per package) or lightly seasoned stock and meat ingredient.
3. When mixture comes to a boil, stir in OAK GROVE CREOLE JAMBALAYA MIX.
4. Cover, and when mixture returns to a boil, reduce heat, stir and simmer 20 to 25 minutes or bake in a
preheated oven at 350 degrees for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
5. When rice is cooked, remove all excess liquid with a spoon or ladle. Remove from heat and turn
JAMBALAYA lightly. Let stand for 5 minutes.
6. Fluff mixture with a fork before serving.
OAK GROVE CREOLE JAMBALAYA MIX may be prepared in a rice cooker or a microwave oven using the above proportions and appliance instructions.
VARIATIONS: Bell peppers, green onions, mushrooms or tomatoes may be added to suit personal taste.