The Zatarain's tradition of making amazing food was started by Emile A. Zatarain, Sr. In 1889, he obtained the company's first product trademark and started to market root beer. Shortly after, he began to produce mustards, pickled vegetables, and extracts. As the business grew, so did the demand for a broader range of products. Through their expertise in blending spices, the company established a reputation for making only the most authentic New Orleans-Style food. In 1963, the Zatarain family sold the business which was then moved to Gretna, Louisiana, a suburb of New Orleans, where it is still located today.
This package will properly season 15 pounds shrimp, 10 pounds crawfish, 1 1/2 dozen crabs.
1. Place 8 quarts of water and contents of package into large cooking container, stir, and bring to rolling boil.
Add seafood to boiling mixture, stir, cover tightly, and return to a boil then turn off heat (CRABS NEED TO
BOIL FOR 2 TO 5 MINUTES BEFORE TURNING OFF HEAT).
2. Allow seafood to SOAK: Shrimp 2 to 5 minutes; Crawfish 30 minutes; Crabs 30 minutes.
3. Drain carefully and serve.
1. Adding 2 tablespoons of vinegar to cooking water makes crabs easier to pick.
2. For spicier flavor, add cold water or ice to pot at end of cook time and soak longer.
3. For extra zesty flavor, try adding Zatarain's Liquid Crab Boil and/or Zatarain's Cayenne Pepper.