AUTHENTIC NEW ORLEANS RECIPE -- HOPPIN'JOHN PORK CHOPS
1 package Zatarain's Black-Eyed Peas and Rice
4 pork chops
2 1/2 cups hot water
2 tablespoons margarine or cooking oil
4 slices of onion
Zatarain's Creole Seasoning
Trim extra fat from pork chops and season with Zatarain's Creole Seasoning. Brown pork chops in 2 tablespoons margarine or cooking oil. Remove chops from skillet and add 2 1/2 cups water and Zatarain's Black-Eyed Peas and Rice. Stir thoroughly. Place chops and slices of onion on rice. Bring to boil. Cover, reduce heat to low cook for 30 to 35 minutes or until water is absorbed.
Cooking InstructionsEasy Stove Top Directions
1. In a 2 quart saucepan combine 2 1/2 cups water, 2 tablespoons butter or margarine and Zatarain's Black-Eyed Peas and Rice. Stir well and bring to boil.
2. Stir, reduce heat, cover and simmer over low heat for 25 minutes or until all water is absorbed. Stir occasionally.
3. Remove from heat and let stand 5 minutes. Stir and serve.
1. In a 1 1/2 quart microwave-safe bowl, combine 2 1/2 cups hot water, 2 tablespoons butter or margarine and Zatarain's Black-Eyed Peas and Rice and stir thoroughly.
2. Cover and cook on high for 5 minutes, stir, reduce power to 60% and cook for approximately 18 minutes*, stirring occasionally.
3. Remove, stir and allow to stand covered for 5 minutes before serving.
*Cook time may differ depending on the power of the microwave oven.