In 1919, Henry Norman "Cap" Saurage discovered the secret of making this great-tasting coffee in his country store in Dixie, Louisiana, near Baton Rouge. He named his coffee "Community" in honor of his community of friends. In 1924, he closed the store and converted his backyard barn into a coffee mill, using coffee beans purchased from a local roaster. Over the years, Community Coffee Company would take countless steps to ensure the quality of its product. In 1955, the company began importing green coffee beans directly from coffee plantations in Brazil. In 1970, a new plant was built on the Mississippi River in Port Allen, Louisiana. In 1980, Community introduced the nation's first vacuum-sealed coffee package. Community Coffee Specialty L.L.C. is located in Baton Rouge, LA.