AUTHENTIC NEW ORLEANS RECIPE -- CREOLE CHICKEN RICE CASSEROLE
1 package Zatarain's Chicken Creole Rice Mix
4 chicken breasts
4 cups water
3/4 cups all purpose flour
Zatarain's Creole Seasoning to taste
1/4 cup vegetable oil
Season chicken pieces with Zatarain's Creole Seasoning and coat in flour. Brown chicken pieces in hot oil, drain and set aside. Add Zatarain's Chicken Creole Rice Mix and 4 cups water. Stir thoroughly and bring to boil. Pour the mixture evenly in a greased 9" x 13" casserole dish and place brown chicken on top. Cover and bake in 400 degree F oven for 45 minutes or until rice is cooked.
Serves 4 to 5
EASY STOVE TOP DIRECTIONS
Zatarain's Chicken Creole Rice Mix can be prepared with your choice of 1 pound of precooked chicken or shrimp cut into bite-size pieces for a delicious and authentic New Orleans style meal.
1. In a 2 1/2 quart saucepan, combine 2 cups water, a 14 1/2 ounce can diced or crushed tomatoes, 1 tablespoon butter or margarine (optional), 1 pound of precooked chicken or shrimp* and Zatarain's Chicken Creole Rice. Mix and stir thoroughly.
2. Bring mixture to a boil, stir, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes or until most of the water is absorbed.
3. Remove from heat and let stand 5 minutes. Stir and serve.
*NOTE: If seafood is used, add after 10 minutes of cooking time. Return to boil and cook 15 minutes.
1. In a 2 1/2 quart microwave-safe bowl, combine 1 3/4 cups HOT water, a 14 1/2 ounce can of diced or crushed tomatoes, 1 tablespoon butter or margarine (optional), 1 pound cooked chicken or shrimp and Zatarain's Chicken Creole Rice Mix and stir thoroughly.
2. Cover and cook on high for 25 minutes*, stirring occasionally.
3. Remove, stir and let stand covered for 5 minutes before serving.
*Cook time may differ depending on the power of the microwave oven.