Blue Plate Sandwich Spread
Blue Plate Sandwich Spread is made with Blue Plate Mayonnaise and brings a tangy creaminess to your sandwich or po-boy.
In the late 1920s, Mr. J. B. Geiger, a chemical engineer, was working for a subsidiary company of Wesson-Snowdrift Oil. When they bought out another company, the new employees were assigned to produce mayonnaise, which was growing in popularity. Mr. Geiger headed the research team, and within three years the plant was up and running. The plant soon had its own label "Blue Plate" and had expanded to include other products such as peanut butter, jams and jellies. The mayo itself was made in a Gretna, LA warehouse. In 1941, it was decided that the new division of the Wesson-Snowdrift Company needed its own home. A site was found at 1315 S. Jefferson Davis Parkway. In 1974, Blue Plate Foods was purchased by the Wm. B. Reily company that bought the Jefferson Davis site as well. Reily Foods, another New Orleans tradition, also produces CDM coffee and Luzianne Tea.